Albertos Polizogopoulos is a partner practicing in our litigation department. His national practice focuses in the areas of constitutional, commercial and civil litigation. Mr. Polizogopoulos represents individuals, businesses and corporations, financial institutions, healthcare institutions, universities, political parties and campaigns, insurance companies, churches and charities. He provides legal and strategic advice to his clients in all matters relating to litigation and liability.
As litigation counsel, Mr. Polizogopoulos is frequently called upon to address a variety of matters including contract, employment, insurance and human rights disputes, professional malpractice, defamation, tax litigation, debt recovery and enforcement. In his ecclesiastical law practice, Mr. Polizogopoulos advises Roman Catholic, Protestant and other churches, providing counsel on church policies, church discipline and church membership.
An advocate, Mr. Polizogopoulos has been counsel in many leading constitutional cases and high-profile matters, including ten appeals before the Supreme Court of Canada and has appeared before various administrative tribunals and courts including the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Divisional Court of Ontario, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia, the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal, the Court of Appeal of Alberta, the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal and before the Supreme Court of Canada on multiple occasions. Mr. Polizogopoulos also sits or has sat on the boards of a number of local charities and organizations.
Mr. Polizogopoulos is regularly retained by other counsel, providing advice and agency services regarding motions and appeals before the Supreme Court of Canada as well as research and opinions on complex legal matters. Mr. Polizogopoulos is also frequently invited to comment or speak on constitutional and human rights law matters.
A number of his high profile cases have received widespread media coverage in publications such as the Globe and Mail, Maclean's Magazine, the Vancouver Sun, the Catholic Register and the Ottawa Citizen. Mr. Polizogopoulos has also had commentary featured in media outlets such as the Globe and Mail, CTV News, The Wall Street Journal, Faith Today and the National Post, among others.
Areas of Expertise
- Constitutional and Human Rights Law
- Civil and Commercial Litigation
- Appellate Advocacy and Supreme Court Agency Services
- Ecclesiastical Law
- Charity and Not-for-profit Law
- Employment and Labour Law for Employers
- Complex Legal Research and Opinions
- Personal Injury and Insurance Litigation
- Strategic litigation and test cases
Supreme Court Representative Work:
- Trinity Western University v. Law Society of Upper Canada, 2018 SCC 33
- Law Society of British Columbia v. Trinity Western University, 2018 SCC 32
- Wall v. Judicial Committee of the Highwood Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, 2018 SCC 26
- Ktunaxa Nation Council et al. v. British Columbia et al.
- Carter v. Canada (Attorney General), 2015 SCC 5
- Mouvement laïque québécois v. Saguenay (City), 2015 SCC 16
- Loyola High School, et al. v. Attorney General of Quebec, 2015 SCC 12
- Cuthbertson v. Rasouli,  SCC 53
- S.L., et al. v. Commission scolaire des Chênes, et al., SCC 7
- Alberta v. Hutterian Brethren of Wilson Colony,  2 S.C.R. 567
- Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission v. William Whatcott,  SCC 11
- Christian Medical and Dental Society v. College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, 2019 ONCA 393
PT v. Alberta, 2019 ABCA 158
- Power To Change Ministries v. Canada (Employment, Workforce and Labour), 2019 CanLII 13579 (FC)
- CHP v. City of Hamilton, 2018 ONSC 3690
- Christian Medical and Dental Society v. College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, 2018 ONSC 579
- ARPA Canada et al. v. Ontario, 2017 ONSC 3285
- E.T. v. Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board, et al., 2017 ONCA 893
- S, S.S and N.S. by his litigation guardian S.S. v. The Private Academy, 2017 HRTO 791
- Trinity Western University v. The Law Society of Upper Canada, 2016 ONCA 518
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society et al. v. Trinity Western University et al., 2016 NSCA 59
- E.T. v Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board, 2016 ONSC 7313
- Bansal v. 2343467 Ontario Inc., 2015 ONSC 1016
- Trinity Western University et al. v. Nova Scotia Barristers' Society et al., 2015 NSSC 25
- Trinity Western University et al. v. The Law Society of Upper Canada et al., 2015 ONSC 4250
- Bradford v. National Automobile, Aerospace, Transportation and General Workers Union of Canada, 2015 FCA 84
- London Sales Arena Corp. v Judith Salsman, 2015 ONSC 7243
- Fontaine v. Canada (Attorney General), 2014 ONSC 3781
- Lobo v. Carleton University, 2012 ONCA 498
- Lobo v. Carleton University, 2012 ONSC 254
- Lobo v. Carleton University, 2011 ONSC 5798
Policy and Legislative Representative Work:
- Represented the Christian Medical and Dental Society of Canada, the Canadian Federation of Catholic Physicians Societies and Canadian Physicians for Life in submissions before the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan regarding its policy Conscientious Refusals.
- Represented the Christian Medical and Dental Society of Canada and the Canadian Federation of Catholic Physicians Societies in submissions before the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario regarding its policy Professional Obligations and Human Rights.
- Appeared before the Legislative Assembly of Ontario’s Standing Committee on Social Policy on behalf of the Coalition for Parental Rights in Education in relation to Bill 13: Accepting School Act.
- County of Carleton Law Association
- Christian Legal Fellowship
- Canadian Canon Law Society
- Rideau Club Board of Directors, Member
- American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association, Past Vice-President